Sunday, February 2, 2014

Working for Food

It was beautiful today. This afternoon I filled a plastic bag with green weeds for the chickens. I have to be careful opening their gate because there is a Rhode Island Red who is quite eager to relieve me of anything I have when I walk inside. She will tear the bottom of the plastic bag apart trying to get at whatever I have. I had just walked through the gate & was trying to throw bits of weeds in different directions. Red ran between my legs and out the gate. My first concern was a yard full of dogs watching us. She stopped within a few feet and began to scratch around in the leaves. I tried to entice her with weeds, but she was not interested. She was so intent on moving the leaves that I was able to catch her pretty quick. 
This particular pen has chicken wire across the top so no leaves dropped inside last fall. From outside their pen,  I gathered about 5 or 6 small bags of leaves. When I dumped them in the pen, the chickens went crazy. They were so excited to scratch around the leaves and find the same feed or weeds that they had just walked over. 
Chickens were meant to forage for their food. 
It is very touching to see the rooster find a goody and call his girls over to share. 
I try to throw treats near the roosters so they can fulfill their role. 

                   Happy Chickens!

                                                                               Red is in the foreground. She usually sticks close to me.


Something to Crow About!

When the world was perfect, before the fall, before sin, there was work and it was in a garden.
God placed man in the Garden to tend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment