Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome 2014

I refuse to start the year complaining about an off-day and no sunshine. I'll just be thankful that it didn't rain and no negative number windchill unlike much of the country.
After seeing many of my hollies loaded with berries, I had the bright idea that my chickens might like some fruit.

I love Emily Brunner holly. I have 2 hedgerows of it around parts of my circular drive.


The chickens were real excited with the holly branches at first, but then not so much. So I pulled up a couple of Wal-mart bags of weeds that they dearly love. The weeds are young and tender and look like Alfalfa sprouts.

I only have 4 kinds of chickens although with the variations in my Americaunas that is debatable.
There are Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Brahmas, and Americaunas. I gather a beautiful assortment of eggs in various colors and sizes.
 Since my chickens were all spring babies, not all are producing yet. I was excited to get an drab olive green egg for the first time today. Can you pick it out on the 3rd row? The dark, dark brown was from a Barred Rock. The chickens are a lot of fun but demanding.
The Barred Rock rooster was a surprise since I only bought pullets. When they moved from my dining room to the outdoors, "she" broke a toe. She hobbled around and the others picked on her. I picked her up a lot and fed her from my hand. As the toe healed and she grew, "his" comb began to emerge. Now this giant creature still wants to be coddled & fed by hand. He is about as big as a turkey and a little intimidating. I try not to let him see me sweat. He is beautiful though.
Everyone wanted to get in the chicken pen. 

Fun was had by all today.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute blog- I came across it searching for the name of our company- Dixie Heritage. It was a nice read! Thank you for bringing to light our heritage. If you want to know about us... www.dixieheritagestore.com.

    ReplyDelete